Monday, January 24, 2011

The Grocery Store Expectations..Incentives

I dread the grocery store sometimes with Eric.  Our grocery store is ALWAYS busy!  It seems like lately I have had no choice, and I had to take him the last 4 or 5 times.  So something that I have not yet mastered, is getting out of there in less than 30 minutes.  Between trying to keep Eric engaged in our shopping, and the store always being crazy...30 minutes is the minimum.  When I am alone...I take an hour. =)  Anyway, EVERYTIME, before we go into the grocery store I have a talk with Eric.  Just a brief talk...I say what is expected of him while we are in the store...which is behave..no yelling...no screaming.  I ask him if he can help me with the list...hold it, as well as, help me find items by pointing.  I tell him that the first section we can go to is the sticker aisle.  He gets to pick out a sticker pack and hold it while we shop.  If he misbehaves, I remind him about the stickers, and that he has to be good for stickers.  I have put them back.  He knows I will again, if he yells.  He asks everytime if we can open it while shopping and everytime, I remind him, that we have to pay for them first.  He helps me do the rest of the shopping. The last few times he has been great.  The stickers have worked for his "incentive".  Eric gets bored fast...after he has obsessed about something for a few weeks, he is soon over it.  I dread finding a new reward for him because he is so smart....for now stickers work.  One time he wanted Scooby Doo BandAides...even better...a 2fer! =) 

Do you all have any good Grocery store stories?  Would love to hear!  What are some of your incentives for your kids to behave while in public?

Til next time,
Shauna

No comments:

Post a Comment