Saturday, January 22, 2011

Genetic testing...chances of another Special Needs Child?

As a child, you always dream about your wedding day.  You think up names for your future kids.  You chase the boy you love in 1st grade.  You play house and Barbie's.  You play M.A.S.H. to predict your future.  You never think that you will have a child with Special Needs.  Never in a million years. Unfortunately you don't get to pick everything in life.  Life threw you a curveball...you stay positive and move forward.  Afterall, you dreamed about having children your whole life.  You gonna let this disability bring you down?  Hell NO!  To me, when I am thrown a challenge...I go all out!  Go big or go home!  Right?  Isn't that the only way?  I decided the day I found out I was pregnant with Eric, that I would do anything for him!  I mean ANYTHING.

After Eric's Neurologist had done all of his proper tests and everything came back normal, there were still so many questions!  The next step would be Genetic Testing.   At UCLA, Mark, Eric and I had blood work done as well as Eric had urine work up too.   They had to put another UBAG on Eric to get some urine.  This time, we made sure it was a pediatric one, as well as his name was on it!!!  Also, the stinker was holding it again.  We waited a while!  The testing was to see if there was anything different, abnormal in our Genes.  They were looking at such detailed stuff.  UCLA is actually doing a study on Eric because they have NEVER seen his exact issues before.   The test was also going to tell us our chances of having another Special Needs Child.  We were so nervous about the results.  I have always wanted more kids.  Ever since I can remember, I have wanted to be a Mom.  At the time of the testing, we were NOT ready to have more children.  The Dr's were asking us to hold off on trying to have another until we had the test results.  They had also told us the test results were so detailed and new that it could take 3-4 months for the results.  "Whatever it takes." we said.  So leaving the hospital that day we had so many things in our thoughts.  Was it Mark and I together that caused Eric to have his issues?  Could we have more kids?  Would they have Special Needs?   This was something that was uncontrollable.  Another curveball!

So, we waited...3 months.  After not hearing from them, I called UCLA to see about the results.  Still not in...they said to keep calling them...so I did.  After I think it was almost 6 months of waiting....the tests came back.  It ends up...Eric and I have the same exact gene deletion #7.   They also told us that it was insignificant.  Meaning that Mark and I together did NOT cause Eric's issues!  PHEW!  The last thing we needed to know was our chances of another disabled child.  Only 5-8% chance....not high at all!  This was great!  We could have more kids and chances of having another with issues is low!  I can't even tell you how relieved I was.   Even though we didn't find out why Eric's has the problems he does, this was the best news we could get!  =)  I had felt like a huge weight was lifted off my shoulders!

Motto:  What does not kill us makes us stronger!

Til' next time,
Shauna

No comments:

Post a Comment