Monday, July 4, 2011

Eric Goes to School!

Well today is a big day for Eric. We finally found a school equipped to take him. YAY! As many of you know, it has been hard to find a school here in the Philippines. Most of the schools were full and I was getting discouraged. We had him enrolled in a playgroup that was supposed to start in August but that wasn’t good enough. We really wanted him to be 5 days a week with other kids so that he can learn social, emotional development.

I had been asking everyone I know! Moms, therapists, people at our office...finally someone gave me the name of a school here in Cebu. I called them expecting to have them full too, but I had to try! I was surprised to find out that they were equipped for him as well as they had 2 openings left! I had to hurry so that I could ensure a spot for him. So he went on last Thursday for a “trial day”. He had been to school before in the States but it had been about 6 months since he had been in a class with other kids so I was nervous that he would have seperation anxiety when I left him. Afterall, we are in a new Country! All that day I had been preparing him for school. Telling him that Mommy was so excited for him to go to school and make some friends and play. I have always found that since Eric’s receptive language was high and he could understand everything we said. I have never had to use baby talk or smaller words. I am thankful for that. So I prepared him all that day for going to school. When the time came, we went to the school singing a special song that I had made up for him. The Eric’s Going to School Song...which he loves and signs “more” and makes me sing it 50 times a day! Which I love, so I just do it! We get to school, he gives me a kiss and waves “bye” and that was it. The teacher said he did great and he was willing to do everything they did that day. I was so happy to hear that.

So he actually starts today and I couldn’t be happier! The class size is great, only 5 kids per class. There are 2 Sped (Special Ed) teachers and 1 OT (Occupational Therapist) per class...which means pretty much one on one! He is in a class with 3 other Special Needs kids and when he is ready he will be mainstreamed. If he needs a shadow the school will provide, which usually the parents have to pay out of pocket here in Philippines. The picture above is him in his uniform. All the kids wear uniforms here in the P.I. (Philippine Islands).


We have been in Cebu now for a little over 2 months and I can’t even tell you how hard it has been to get Eric’s school and therapies going. It has definitely been a struggle but in the end, it is all worth it! I will keep you all posted on his school and progress. I am just so excited for him and for me as well. =) I will be spending my time while he is in school at the local Coffee Bean using their WIFI and relaxing! Quiet time, I call it!


Until next time...

3 comments:

  1. hi! i am searching for schools in cebu for children with special needs and I came across your blog. I am actually based in Abu Dhabi right now but I am planning to go back to Cebu for my son. I am curious which school does your son goes to. I would appreciate if you can drop me an e-mail at msabaldan@gmail.com and share to me some information about the school.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello. I'm an American parent in Cagayan De Oro with a special needs child. There are no schools here that are equipped to help special needs kids, so I'm looking to take him to Cebu. Could you kindly tell me what school you send your son to in Cebu and if you recommend it? My email is ross2stan@yahoo.com Many thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi! Im also looking for a school here in cebu catering to kids with special needs. Im not very happy with The one where my brother is enrolled now. Hoping to hear a reply from you. christinatan.ct@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete