Thursday, June 23, 2011

Father's Day Beach Day

Father's Day started out a little rough in our house.  We had no plans the morning of.  We had talked about going to the beach that morning but it wasn't set.  I am a "planner".  I like to make plans pretty much on everything I do.  Mark, not so much!  He likes to "fly by the seat of his pants".  Which is easy for him to do because I am always the one who has to get everything ready for us to do anything or go anywhere.  I am the multi tasker.  Mark, can only do one thing at a time.  I wish I could just go with the flow, but sometimes my anxiety takes over!  There were so many things to do before we were to go anywhere that morning.  That's all I could think about.  Mark says "The dishes will be here when we get back"  Easy for him to say, I am the one who does them.   Our girls had 2 days off that weekend so the house was in shambles.  I didn't want to come home to a huge mess after a relaxing day.   Between making breakfast, cleaning up afterwards, packing beach stuff for the day for 3 people, Eric's meds, making sure the 4 animals were squared away before we left, lunches packed, oh and we can't forget we all still had to shower...Mark was rushing me, to say the least.  So my anxiety kicked in full speed ahead!  I get flustered.  I start to think negatively.  I had to snap out of it...besides, it was not my day, it was Father's Day!  So, I explained to Mark all of the things I needed help with so that we could get out of the house and start having some relaxing fun.

We got out of the house about 11am, not too bad, right?!  Mactan Island is about 25 miles away...so we were headed to The Hilton Beach for the day with some of Mark's family who also live here in Cebu.  Once we left the house, my anxiety level was way better.  Now all I had to think about was "Would the beach be OK for Eric?"  What I mean by that is...Would he be able to be somewhat independent while we were there?  Would he be able to walk in the sand without falling every 2 seconds?  Would he even like the beach?  All of these questions in my head..."STOP"  I said to myself.  He will be fine!  The great thing about Eric, he is sooo easygoing!  He doesn't mind sand.

That day was perfect in every way!  The weather was great, not humid, a little breezy.  Our lunches were great and Eric got to eat his favorite way, which is "eat & run", what we call it when he doesn't wanna sit still and eat.  The water was great. Warm and clear and shallow quite a ways out.  Eric loved it.  For about an hour, Eric and I sat right where the water met the sand and just played.  He NEVER sits!  We shared great moments together that day.  I think his favorite part was the hotel had a nice outdoor shower...and he went there like 4 times and just kept pushing the button to make the water flow!

As for me, my stress level was at an all time low since we have been here.  I didn't have to worry one bit about Eric.  He could be independent.  The great thing was when he fell...he couldn't get hurt!  The beach was not busy so he could roam a bit and I could keep an eye on him while lounging, which I NEVER get to do!

At the end of the day when we were on our way home, Mark said to me "Thanks Baby for a great Father's Day"  He got to relax which he NEVER gets to do.  He had a great time snorkeling which he loves.  Somehow he had forgotten what a basket case I was that morning.  Phew!  I guess Mark and I being so different is good.  It really balances us.  I am learning to breath and not to sweat the small stuff.  Mark is learning that if he helps me, I am much more relaxed!

Well, the year is just flying by!  I can't believe it is already almost July.  Which means Eric is going to be 5, July 30, 2011.  Wow!

I would love to hear any "basket case" moments from your family outings....please share!

Until next time...

2 comments:

  1. We just took Adam to a Boston Red Sox game on Saturday and of course he needed to be changed. Since he's 25 and 100 lbs, it takes two of us...talked to seurity about a handicap stall so we could change him...we both couldn't go in to either a women's or men's room, nor would they give us access to a closet. Told the security people to screw themselves and we took Adam into the women's room handicap stall to change him. I got a lot of uncool looks from the girls...and on the way out the guard says...remember, "I didn't see you go in there." I won't post my comment...all too common occurence. These ball players make millions and they can't put in a family changing area for handicapped kids? That's my family outing experience....I'll stay home.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Phil, I am sorry you and your wife had to have a negative experience like that. I can only imagine how you felt that day. Frustrated I am sure! Thank you for sharing. I vote you keep trying to take outings, even though its a lot harder for us as special needs parents...our kids deserve to see new things! Maybe you could write the ballpark and advise them of your problem that day...you never know maybe they just might put a family bathroom. I admire you for sharing! =)

    ReplyDelete