Friday, March 4, 2011

Dilemma...

I have a bit of a dilemma!  I need some advice!  As many of you know, Mark, my hubby, has a business over in Cebu, Philippine's and has to travel there 4, sometimes 5 times a year, for 2 months at a time.  Our business is exploding (in a good way) so Mark has so much work he really needs to be in the Philippines.  There is my dilemma.  He is in the Philippines and we live in Lake Tahoe.  Something like 7200 miles away!  So, I am trying to decide whether we should live in the Philippines for 2-3 years until the business has totally taken off.  I miss my husband, all the time! 

Pros:

  • We wouldn't be away from Mark! #1
  • We would have so much more help for Eric as well as with the normal day to day stuff.
  • Money...of course...goes a lot farther here
  • More quality time with Eric, because I wouldn't have to do things like laundry, cleaning, cooking.
  • More affordable services for Eric!  We would be able to provide so much more for him and his needs here.
  • I would be able to have a second child because of having more help.
  • The International schools here are so much more intense than the USA that Eric may catchup faster!
  • I would be able to make friends easier, I love Filipinos!  They are so friendly! Especially the Gay guys! =)
  • My stress level would be better! 
  • We do have some family here.
  • The fruit here is the best I have had!
  • Everyone speaks English in the Philippines.
  • Mark and I would be able to have more time to enjoy each other.
  • After living here for a few years, we would be able to sell the business and retire! Anywhere we want! The hugest PLUS!

Con's:

  • My Mom would freak out!
  • The humidity. Which really hasn't bothered Eric and I yet. =)
  • It's 7200 miles away from most of our family!  It would take 17 hrs to get back to the States!
  • $1000 every time I wanna fly back to the States.
  • I know most of my friends and family will never travel here because of the price and it being so far away!
  • Getting our 2 dogs and 2 cats here!  Would my 13 year old cat survive the trip?!

So, you see my dilemma?!  If anyone has some advice for living in another country, I would love the help trying to decide.  To me, it seems like it might be the best thing, because it's only temporary.  Such a huge decision!  HELP!!!

Til Next time,
Shauna

3 comments:

  1. Go for it! It will be a formative experience for EJ. As a person who grew up traveling and living in foreign countries I can tell you that experiencing foreign cultures at a young age gives you such an advantage in life. As far as the distance, we'll come visit, I can promise you that. Your mom will come visit too. Maybe she can open a Lampost in Cebu. :) It would be so good for you to finally get the help you deserve. I think you would really enjoy it and I know Mark would love to have his family close to support him. Financially it makes a lot of sense too. Talk to my mom about flying with animals, she's flown her two cats and two dogs around the world many times and they've all survived it. It will only be stressful for them for a couple of days and the good think is that they won't remember it. I don't think the Philippines have any quarantine time for domestic pets. You're gonna have to at decide who you check and who you carry on though and it's gonna be pricey, but it's definitely possible. My opinion aside, I would say, spend this three weeks there and really check it out before you decide for sure. After that you can make an informed decision. I'm really excited for you though. We'll talk soon. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love you guys and I don't want you to move so far away but there are too many pros and as far as I can see I'm the only real con. I will come visit but you have to let me stay at least a month. haha

    Skype is not the best but it's a heck of a lot better than the phone and keep blogging I love your post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi while searching for a school in Cebu, I came across your blog. I wanted to know if you can share a bit of information about their schools and accommodation for kids with special needs. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete